It is estimated that around 30% of adults will experience symptoms of TMJ (Temporo-mandibular Joint) disorder at some point in their lives. Symptoms can include;
- Restriction in opening the mouth
- Clicking or popping sounds when opening or closing the mouth
- Pain and tension in the muscles surrounding the jaw, neck and shoulders
- Frequent headaches and/or migraines
Intra-oral release is a technique where pressure is gently applied to the muscles of the jaw and head through the inside of the mouth. It is an effective treatment to help promote pain relief across the jaw and head, addressing muscle imbalances which contribute to and result from the onset of temporo-mandibular joint dysfunction. This treatment can also be effective at helping resolve long standing chronic neck and shoulder pain, tension headaches.
TMJ disorder can be caused by a number of factors including;
- History of dental problems or orthodontic correction – leading to compensations across the musculature of the jaw
- Postural deviations – rounded shoulders, chronic muscle imbalances and shortening
- Trauma such as whiplash
- Ongoing/chronic stress and anxiety
Following assessment and discussion, it would be determined if intra-oral release would be an appropriate treatment for you.
Depending on the root cause of your symptoms, it may be that advice or treatment may be required from another practitioner such as a dentist or orthodontist.
Please contact us if you would like further information regarding treatment.